Monday, November 11, 2013

REVIEW: Resilient by Patricia Vanasse




My rating: 4 of 5 stars

DISCLAIMER This copy has been provided by the author for an honest review.


  4 sweet hearts for Resilient!





resilient

adjective
(of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.
(of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions:


Livia was special and she knows it.


She can empathize with people. She could feel their emotions. She could feel their pain, happiness, anger and most of the times, it makes her unhappy knowing what other people are feeling. As time passes by, she began to develop more abilities that she was forced to hide from her adoptive parents.  She thinks her biological parents have the answers to her questions. But will finding them really answer her questions or will it lead her to more questions?

Adam was your normal highschool golden boy. At least, that is what everyone around him thinks. But there was more to him than meets the eye. He only allow people to see what he wants them to.


When Livia and her family moved to Whidbey Island, she meets Adam and unfortunately, sparks didn't fly (at least at first). For the first time, Livia couldn't feel an emotion. She couldn't read Adam's emotion at all. It made her curious as to why he was the only one immune to her ability.

The closer they got to each other, the more they learn about the secrets that lurk behind their true identity.

THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS

First of all, I would like to thank Patricia Vanasse for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book. It was absolutely amazing and am very honored to read and review it!

Alright so my thoughts on this book is that it was very unique. That is actually what first caught me about this book. There was no cliche-ish pathetic heroine who needs to be saved by a swoonworthy and strong hero. That was not the case here.

I liked Livia. She was very persistent in searching for answers. She was strong and not whimpy. She was not a damsel in distress that needs saving all the time. I guess sometimes she was impulsive like her decision to go back to New York just because she wanted to know about something. A very bold and dangerous decision but she made it.

Adam. Hmmm. I wasn't really extremely blown away by him at first because I thought he was a jerk but as the story goes, boy he made up for it.  I guess that's the only thing that I found wrong with Adam but other than that he was a pure sweetheart! Oh and did I mention he was goodlooking? LOL.

I would have to say that it was a slow read for me though, hence why I have not given it a perfect 5 stars. The real bulk of the story for me started when I was I think about half or probaly 60-70% on the book. That was where things started making sense and when the story really got more intense.

Oh and I did like the chemistry between Adam and Livia. They were attracted to each other yes but it wasn't i-want-to-be-with-you-forever-at-first-sight kind of love. I really liked that! That earned this book tons of points for me.

I really really hate cliche in books. It is very rare that a book will not have that type of pattern: girl is pretty but doesn't know it then goodlooking guy makes pretty girl feels she's beautiful, saves her from herself and then they live happily ever after! I just noticed that it has been a very common and overused type of plot in most of the YA books right now and its getting kind of old. Resilient, fortunately, is not one of them.

Oh did I say that I'm also a bit angry and upset?!
Why?
It's because of that freakin' cliffhanger!!


Oh geez you are so cruel!!
I'm just kidding. I'm not exactly angry. LOL.
Actually...


Looking forward to the next one!
Great debut novel!! :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment