Sunday, November 3, 2013

REVIEW: Broken at Love (Whitman University, #1) by Layla Payne



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“You started out as a player—a very beautiful and intriguing player—in Sebastian’s game, Emilie. But I lied at the house the other day. Everything that happened between us was true after the circumstances of our meeting.”

I seriously thought I wasn't going to enjoy this book.

This was me during the first part of the book:





Majority of it I was like this:



But towards the ending it was:



I loved the story.
I loved the characters.
I loved how it wasn't really hurried but it wasn't really that fast either.
And finally, I loved the ending.
It was the perfect way to end a story like that althought it was a little common but it works.

Here is THE GIST

Quinn Roland was broken.
He's just been dumped by his girlfriend.
His father doesn't want to have anything to do with him and sent him to college.
He has everything but he wasn't really happy.

A game was what started it all. A game that had Quinn taking a girl chosen by his pyschotic half-brother Sebastian and he has to have her sleep with him no matter what the cost. It was a bet that Quinn has no intention of losing.

Emilie Swanson had no clue what was in store for her the day she followed Quinn Roland up that room.
She caught him off guard and she caught a glimpse of him that he doesn't allow anyone to see.

Emelie saw through Quinn's facade but was Quinn ready to show all his colors to Emelie.
Was Quinn ready to give up his ways and open up to Emelie?
Is Emelie right about Quinn? Was she right that there was something more to him than the guy who sleeps with a different girl every night?

FIRST IMPRESSION

The first thing that got me was the cover. The cover is just beautiful. I love it. It's simple and it totally shows you what the book is about.

I wasn't really thrilled with the  rating though. I think it was a 3.71 something and I usually read books which have high ones. And honestly, after I finishing the book, i think it SHOULD have a higher rating. This is one of those books that will unfolds slowly but beautifully.

Here are the CHARACTERS

QUINN



So I had a hard time loving Quinn. He was the type of guy you'd like to steer away from but him being so perfect makes it very hard to do. He was the type who will shower you with sweet words, smile at you with that heartbreakingly beautiful smile, caress your body the way it should be, make you feel like a princess and then one day... POOOOFFF! You're history.



Seriously hated this guy. And this is a first for me which is really good!! I mean it wasn't every day that you read about a male character who doesn't swoon you immediately on the first few pages of the book. I didn't like what he did with the other girls. It was sickening. If I knew a guy like that I'll kick him right down there repeatedly so he won't be able to use it with other girls and make them cry after. Quinn was a seriously broken person and I felt for him as the story goes. I'm sure all of you will feel it too.

EMILIE



So Emilie is a half-Peruvian. I'm not sure why Sebastian called her Mexican but yeah a sexy Peruvian girl who knows what she wants. She was the exact opposite of Quinn. She knows what she wants and she goes and gets it even if it means losing her trust fund and all that. *YOU GO GIRL!* Nope. She's not the typical not-so-rich-girl-who-falls-for-the-rich-guy type. She's as previledged as Quinn but only a much stronger and feminine version. I thought at first Quinn was a coward. He was actually until near the end of the book but Emilie was not like that. She was strong-willed and she stands up for what she believes in. I also like that she paints. I do think she ate her words though because she said she wouldn't fall for him like the other girls but ended up falling for him big time but I don't really blame her. :p I think her motto when it comes to Quinn is:



Who could blame her? :p

SEBASTIAN

Just a short one for Seb.



EMILIE + QUINN = TOTALLY LOVE THEM



Okay at first I thought their story was a little clicheish. There were already a lot of stories out there where broken bad-boy sleeps around with girls and then meets nice girl and then falls in love with each other and then happily ever after. I thought it was going to be like that at first but it wasn't. There was a lot more to it and I loved it.



I just really love them together. There were seriously cute scenes here and there but when it was the steamy ones, "OH BABY" I want some of those. I really like how Emilie was so confident with herself. Quinn loved that about her and I kind of see why he liked it. She wasn't shy about getting naked and having sex, she wanted it and she wasn't afraid to admit it or show that she's okay with it.

And that elevator scene, *PHEW!* TOO HOT! (view spoiler)

FINAL THOUGHTS

Like I said earlier, I didn't expect to like this book. But I did. I LIKED IT A LOT. And I think it should have a higher rating than what it currently has.

I loved how the story just didn't unfold immediately. It was like a step-by-step on how the characters developed and learned from their actions. The author takes us on the same ride as the characters were on. We see their imperfections, their mistakes, their choices and we also watch what the results of their decisions were. It was just beautiful.



It close to perfect for me. I loved the heart of the story. The ending was just how I wanted it to be. (view spoiler) The type of characters were a little common but the story itself was different. I'm adding this to my favorites and will be looking to more of this series and Ms. Payne's books!

5 stars for a very satisfying read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment