Saturday, November 2, 2013

REVIEW: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green




My rating: 5 of 5 stars

But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”

------------------

Some books will make you laugh so hard your stomach will hurt.
Some books will make you so mad that you’d want to throw the book out the window or burn it in fury.
Some books will leave you asking for more because it ended with a cliffhanger.
Some books will leave you questioning why it ended the way it did.
Some books will leave a mark on you not only because it made you cried buckets of tears or made you laugh until you couldn’t breathe but because you felt something as you were reading it and that feeling would never leave you forever.
The Fault in Our Stars left that kind of mark in me.
It made me cry.
It made me laugh occasionally.
It made my heart ache.
It made me giggly all over when Gus made his moves on Hazel.
It made me feel all sort of things and for a book to have that effect on someone it must be really special.
The Fault in Our Stars is one of the best books I’ve ever read.
EVER!

Hazel has cancer.

She already anticipated Death would soon be knocking on her door.

She doesn’t have a lot of friends because she keeps to herself.

Why?

She didn’t want anyone else to be burdened by her death in case it comes.

One day at support group he met Augustus (Gus) Waters.

They just sort of clicked.

Gus liked her but she didn’t want to take their relationship to a higher level because she was afraid that she’d cause him pain if she dies.

Hazel think Gus was healthier than she is and that he’ll have more time on earth than she does and that it would be unfair if she lets him in.

But no matter how hard she tries to keep her distance from Gus, she just couldn’t.

Everything felt right.

Fate however has different plans for them.


There are so many things I want to say about this book but I’m so afraid I might not get them all right.
John Green, you have broken my heart into tiny little pieces.
This book made my heart ache and my eyes burn with tears.
There was just so much emotion in the pages of this book that it was so hard not to feel them.

Hazel was an inspiration.
I have never been that sick but I think if I was I wouldn’t be as composed and as strong as she was.
Despite her constant need to have an oxygen tank near her she still goes about and does things normally.
She doesn’t go out that much with friends though because she wanted to spare them the pain if ever she dies.
And while Hazel was sometimes (most of the time) pessimistic, Gus was the exact opposite.
He was Hazel’s ray of sunshine.
He has this sort of halo of positivity that makes the people feel good including Hazel.
While Hazel was my inspiration, Gus was my favorite.
I guess this book would not have been that much of a success without Gus.
He was smart (though he often doesn’t think so) and funny and sweet and kind and loving.
(Damn! Where are all the Gus’s hiding? I’d like to get myself one! LOL.)

I finished this book last night after coming home from work.
On the last 3 or 4 chapters my eyes were flooded with tears that I can’t stop.
My mom actually got worried and asked me if I was okay and told her the reason I was crying was because of this book.

The Fault in Our Stars was amazing.
I would like to applaud Mr. Green for making such a wonderful and emotionally gripping novel that mirrors the lives of kids who has cancer.
Hazel, Gus, Isaac and all of the other kids in the memorial maybe fictional characters but what they were experiencing maybe happening to someone else right now.
The characters in this book seemed so real like you and me.
Hazel and Gus seemed too mature for their age.
Was it the cancer? Possibly but it’s actually something so minor that I don’t care if they think too maturely. I can deal with that.

One thing I noticed though was how it reminded me a little (really just a little) of one of my favorite books by Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember.
Gus reminded me of Jaime.
Gus changed something in Hazel just like Jaime did to Langdon.
Jaime and Gus left their mark.
They may have passed but they will never be forgotten.

Anyhow, I totally love this book.
I highly recommend it.
No graphic scenes here so in my opinion it’s totally safe for the teenage kids to read. :)

I am so in love with you Mr. Green.
Too bad you’re married and with kids. (Just kidding!)

But my friends and I will be reading Looking for Alaska next hopefully they would be as great as this one.


I give this perfect 5 stars!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment